The best diet is the one that works for you. This may not be the one which works for your neighbor or best friend! In fact, pre-determined diet plans are usually very good for a limited time. After this they’re generally difficult to stick to and the weight loss benefits can quickly vanish. In fact, the best way to either lose weight or control your weight is to create your own regimen. There are certain key points which must be included in any diet plan:
- The amount of calories you intend to consume; this will depend upon whether you wish to hold you weight steady or lose weight.
- You should have at least three meals and one or two snacks which are balanced to your calorie intake and the necessary nutrients.
- Portion sizes are essential to controlling the amount of food you eat. There are various methods of controlling these from reducing the size of your plate to purchasing a special plate where the portion sizes are already marked out.
You will then need to consider the following steps to decide upon your personal diet plan:
Know Your Food
You should understand how many calories are in your preferred choices. You will also need to be aware of protein, fruit, leafy greens, starch and even carbohydrates. Your diet will need to incorporate all of the essential nutrients along with some fats and sugars; as even these are essential to a healthy lifestyle.
Your diet plan should focus on using reduced calorie food when possible. Calorie counting is an important part of any diet. You can also help yourself stick to the plan by combining protein and fiber, this will help you to stay fuller for longer and stick to your plan.
Just as a standard diet plan will not suit everyone your average approach to dieting may not have the desired effect. There is no point in creating a plan which allows you to eat five meals a day when you know you prefer to eat two and several snacks. Meals need to fit in with your work commitments, your exercise schedule and even your family life. Before you start a diet plan you should consider what approach will suit you and build your plan around this. You should also not be afraid to change your plan if it is not working as you hoped.
You must know the answer to the following points before you design your plan:
- Time available for food preparation
- Level of support you will need to stay on the plan; and whether this support is available.
- Eating out, if this is part of your current lifestyle you should include it in your diet plan; think about the foods you can happily eat at a restaurant and build them into your plan.
- Is a daily or weekly treat essential to keep you motivated?
- How much exercise can you reasonably do? Doctors recommend thirty minutes of moderate exercise every day, such as walking. If you are not currently active you may need to work up to this.
Just because you do not wish to stick to someone else’s diet plan does not mean you cannot use other plans for inspiration. This will be particularly helpful in the first days of your new diet plan as you adjust to new eating habits. There are an abundance of meal plans, recipes and even helpful tips available online which will help you to build your own plan and successfully lose or control your weight.
Foods for Successful Weight Loss
Believe it or not, it is possible to lose weight while eating three times per day, including snacks. The key is to avoid bad combinations, and include as many fat burning foods as possible. Fruits and veggies, fiber (e.g. brown rice, flaxseeds) and lean meats (protein) are all essential. Don’t forget about hydration; drink at least 8 glasses of water per day, and in case tap water is not your thing, you can easily go for fizzy water.
Last but not least, to speed up the fat burning process, you might want to include some natural fat burners into your diet too. Green tea, black tea, marine collagen supplements are also great additions. Marine collagen in particular, is actually a fibrous protein found in salmon and cod fish. It promotes proper bone growth and it also helps your skin look bright and blemish-free.